My take on the dept ceiling deal
But still, raising the debt ceiling doesn’t automatically lead to a reduced federal deficit. The Republicans won’t accept raising taxes. The Democrat doesn’t like to cut spending. They need to compromise the make decisions and I’m afraid the Democrats have to give up on raising taxes for the richest and the Republicans have to give up the spending cuts. If they not agree, there will be automatic spending cuts for the defense and for the social security systems.
To solve the long term problems, I think this is what is needed:
1. Raise taxes, especially for the richest. But I also think US needs a federal sales tax and increased taxation on pollution, including climate gas emission (fuel for instance).
2. Cut spending, especially the defense budget.
3. But continue spending on education and increase investments building a high speed rail network. That is, invest in building America stronger for the future.
Two more things
- Simplify the tax system. Why not look at the principles behind “århundradets skattereform” (“tax reform of the century” in Sweden in 1990).
- Don’t be tempted to solve the current problems with more protectionism. Then the US industry will continue to lose competivity.
Writing this I guess I’ve made myself unelectable if I ever move to the US… But isn’t there any American politician that could support this?